Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
What is GATE?
GATE - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an examination which is conducted for Master of Engineering (ME), Masters in Technology (MTech) and direct PhD admissions to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and other institutes/universities across India. It also opens the gateway to booming public sector organisations (PSUs) and in the field of research. Some of the PSUs and research organizations which use GATE score for providing jobs include ONGC.
GATE is an All-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee comprising of faculty members from IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s on behalf of the National Coordinating Board, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development.
GATE 2022 Examination is organising by IIT, Kharagpur and the exam will be conducted on February 5-6 and February 12-13.
GATE 2022: What’s New
• Two new subjects – Geomatics Engineering (GE) and Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (NM). The total number of subjects in GATE 2022 has increased to 29.
• In another newly introduced change, students applying for GATE 2022 can also opt for two different papers from the prescribed set of combinations.
• Eligibility criteria to appear for GATE-2022 is relaxed from the minimum 10+2+4 (ongoing) to minimum 10+2+3 (ongoing), enabling even those in the third year of their undergraduate studies to appear for the examination, thus providing an additional opportunity to candidates to improve their performance to secure better career options.
• All test papers of GATE 2022 will be entirely objective type. Pattern of questions may include (i) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), (ii) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and/or (iii) Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
Combination of Two Papers Allowed to Appear in GATE 2022
(Subject to availability of infrastructure and schedule)
|Code of The First(Primary) Paper||Codes of Papers Allowed as The Second Paper|
|AG||ES, GE, XE, XL|
|BM||BT, EC, IN, XL|
|CE||AE, AR, ES, GE, NM|
|CH||PE , XE|
|CS||EC, GE, MA, ST|
|EC||IN, PH, EE, CS, GE|
|ES||AG, CE, GE|
|GE||CE, GG, ES, MN|
|GG||GE, MN, PE, PH|
|IN||EC, EE, PH|
|MA||CS, GE, PH, ST|
|ME||AE, CH, NM, PI, XE|
|MN||GE, GG, XE|
|NM||AE, CE, XE|
|PE||CH, GG, XE|
|PH||EC, GE, GG, IN, MA, MT, ST, XE|
|PI||ME, MT, XE|
|XE||AE, AG, CH, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF, NM|
|XL||BM, BT, CY, EY|
GATE Exam Organizing Institutes
The exam is jointly conducted by IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee and Indian Institute for Science, Bangalore (IISC Bangalore), on rotational basis. The following table shows the organizing institutes in various years:
Now while filling GATE form, candidates can apply for two subject papers from the prescribed set of combinations out of the 29 papers listed in the table given below. Candidates are expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of their qualifying degree. However, candidates are free to choose any paper according to their admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which they wish to seek admission.
|Architecture and Planning||AR|
|Bio - medical Engineering||BM|
|Computer Science & Information Technology||CS|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering||PH|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||EY|
|Textile Engineering & Fibre Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|Envirnomental Science and Engineering||ES|
|Humanities and Social Sciences||XH|
With a successful attempt in GATE an aspirant can choose the most suitable option from wide range of roads to travel to his final career destination :
• Students can pursue M.Tech/M.S/ M.E/Ph.D from IISc Bangalore, IITs, NITs, IIITs and other reputed institutes.
• Students can pursue Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering (PGDIE), Post Graduate Diploma in Manufacturing Management(PGDMM), Post Graduate Diploma in Project Management(PGDPM) from NITIE Mumbai.
• Several reputed Maharatna and Navratna PSUs and research organizations recruit on basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC, CSIR etc.
• Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs and other reputed educational institutes.
• Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
• Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
• Junior/Senior Research Associates
• Scientists “C” grade jobs.
• Lucrative opportunities in research & development after post-graduation.
• Multinational firms shortlist candidates on the basis of GATE score.
• Some international universities offers M.S or Ph.D programs on the basis of GATE Score
Anyone who has successfully completed 10+2+2 or 10+3+1 and currently studying in 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already graduated in any government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible to apply for GATE.
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Degree/Examination||Description of eligible candidates|
|BE/BTech/BPharm||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering /Technology)||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed|
|B.Arch||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (5 years course)||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed|
|B.Sc (Research)/BS||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed|
|MSc/MA/MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Arts/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the first year or higher or already completed|
|Int ME/ M.Tech (Post-B.Sc)||Post-B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology (4 year program)||Currently in the 1st/ 2nd/ 3rd/4th year or already completed|
|Int ME/ M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5 year program)||Currently in the 3rd/ 4th/5th year or already completed|
|Int M.Sc/ Int BS-MS||Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to BE/BTech/BArch)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognised by MoE/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses|
|GATE 2022 Official Website Live (https://gate.iitkgp.ac.in)||02.08.2021|
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrolment, Application Filling, Application Submission||30th August, 2021 (Monday)|
|Closing Date of Regular online registration/application process||24th September, 2021 (Friday)|
|End of Extended period for online registration/application (with late fee)||1st October, 2021 (Friday)|
|Last Date for Change of Category, Paper and Examination City (an additional fee will be appliicable)||12th November, 2021 (Friday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online
Application Interface for printing
|3rd January, 2022 (Monday)|
|GATE 2022 Examination Dates
Forenoon: 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Afternoon: 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM
|5th, 6th, 12th, 13th Feb 2022 (Saturday, Sunday)|
|Streamwise Exam Schedule
Computer Science Engineering (Forenoon)
Electrical Engineering (Afternoon)
Electronics Engineering (Forenoon)
Cheminal Engg., Instrumentation Engg., Production & Industrial Engg. (Afternoon)
Civil Engineering ( Forenoon & Afternoon)
Mechanical Engineering ( Forenoon & Afternoon)
|5th Feb, 2022 (Saturday)
5th Feb, 2022 (Saturday)
6th Feb, 2022 (Sunday)
6th Feb, 2022 (Sunday)
12th Feb, 2022 (Saturday)
13th Feb, 2022 (Sunday)
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||17th March 2022 (Thursday)|